Thursday 24 April 2014

UPDATE FOR NO-POO / SHAMPHREE (3 months / 90 days)

Hi guys!

24th April:

So I haven't used any shampoo for 3 months today! I am very happy about this change in my life for several reasons; it makes me more natural and green, saves water and saves the planet from the chemicals I was using when shampooing and conditioning. It also saves us money on shampoo, conditioner and water. I wash my hair far less than I used to, and this has had an impact on the amount I shower too. It was a step that allowed me to discover other green ways I could be more natural. My hair looks great and appears to grow faster. I feel healthier.

My experience: Bentonite clay, which I started using to wash my hair once a week originally, gives the best result when using 2 tablespoons of it and mixed with the juice from 1 lemon, left on for 20 minutes then rinsed off thoroughly, towel dry your hair and brush once it's dry (you should also start the process by brushing your hair under the water first to spread your natural oils/sebum).

                        Baking soda / bicarbonate of soda works best when using 2 heaped teaspoons, mixed with the juice of 1 lemon and 2 cups of water, left on for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse off thoroughly, towel dry and brush or comb once it's dry (you should also start the process by brushing your hair under the water first to spread your natural oils/sebum). OR use 2 heaped teaspoons of the soda, mixed with 2 cups of water, leave on for 20 minutes, rinse off thoroughly and follow with a lemon mixture: juice from 1 lemon mixed with 1 cup of water, leave on for 10 minutes then rinse off thoroughly. Towel dry and brush or comb once the hair is dry (you should also start the process by brushing your hair under the water first to spread your natural oils/sebum). Using the soda and lemon separately is more effective.

                        You can also use lemon only if your hair isn't too dirty/oily. Juice of 1 lemon mixed with 2 cups of water, left on the hair for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse, towel dry and brush/comb (you should also start the process by brushing your hair under the water first to spread your natural oils/sebum).

                        You can also do WO (water only). Brush your hair under hot water to spread the oils down the length of your hair, then massage your scalp under the hot water and rub your lengths. Repeat the same procedure under warm to cold water. Towel dry then brush or comb once your hair dry (you should also start the process by brushing your hair under the water first to spread your natural oils/sebum).


My hair-washing routine:

Monday: In the early afternoon I have a shower and do my hair. I do a WO to freshen up my hair and get rid of some oil and wash out dust and sweat. If my hair is too oily (or if I added oil to it: if my hair was getting dry) then I will do a lemon only wash.

Tuesday: Nothing

Wednesday: Nothing

Thursday or Friday: Either Thursday night or Friday early morning I have my ritual shower which includes hair washing. Here I will do either the clay or soda wash. Lately I have noticed that I prefer the soda wash. I don't always use the lemon but my hair looks and feels much, much better if I do use lemon; the lemon works almost as a conditioner: it adds shine and softness. Either way I described works great; it's faster to mix the lemon in with the soda but more effective using them separately.

Saturday: Nothing

Sunday: Nothing

--------------------

I chose Monday afternoon to go with the Thurs/Fri wash because it leaves exactly 3 and 1/2 days in between each wash. I don't need to wash any more than twice a week and sometimes I leave it out extra day because it can wait. On days when I go running, I will shower (including my neck and forehead) but not wash my hair. I leave my hair untied for the sweat to dry after my shower. It doesn't get oily any quicker.

We are Thursday night, I washed my hair a couple hours ago and it is so soft and clean. My hair never smells of anything so if you want a scent you'll have to find that else where. It smells a bit lemony after I do a lemon-only wash but it's not very strong.

A couple weeks ago I drenched my hair in Argan oil, for no other reason than the fact that I just wanted to... My mum got me a bottle and I just felt like spraying my hair with it. I left it in for a whole day and then lemon washed it because it was Monday, but my hair stayed quite thick and slightly oily for the whole week. So I wasn't so sure anymore whether it was a good idea, but now that it's all out, it has left my hair SO soft. So you can try it too and maybe do it on a week when no one will see it OR double/tripple soda wash your hair. I didn't want to wash my hair any extra because I don't want to take it off it's course too much. The only direction I am willing to change the routine is towards washing less.

My objective is still to go WO but I haven't set myself any dates because the reason I wash my hair when washing-day comes is because it still needs it.

So that's it for now =D

Check out my 4 months update!

Thanks for reading.

Peace




<3

No comments:

Post a Comment